Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oh, my...

Well, folks. It's still winter. And if the locals here are to be believed (which they are), winter won't be over till July, maybe June, if we're lucky. I can't believe this weather!! I never, in my whole life, thought I would live in a place so dang cold. And let me tell you, it's not the "Ooo, it's a bit chilly, but I can make it from the house to the car and car to the building if I run" cold. It's "Holy cow, the wind's taking my breath away, and do I see four foot drifts over there?!" Today, Blair and I went to town (which let me tell you is an excursion for us! It's fifteen miles away and feels useless to go unless we've got tons of stuff to do!) and it was actually a really pretty day. It was around 7 degrees above (which is rather warm by ND standards!), but the wind!! Oh, my, that's what get's ya! Holy man! It was just "breezy" as the locals would say, blowing at about 10-15 mph!! You step out of a building and that first gust just steals your breath, your hair goes flying (not just back but up, down, around, everywhere!!), and you have to take a huge gulp of air and telll yourself, breathe in, breathe out. Whew. Thankfully we've not gotten a ton of snow this month. The Farmers Almanac says we're supposed to get 40" (yes, inches!) this month, but I'm in denial and don't see that happening, especially since we've only got about a week left in the month!! However, people 'round these parts have been gleefully telling me that it's not uncommon to get snow in March and April, sometimes May. I think they just like to see the crestfallen look on my face, somehow it's funny to them...ok, it'd probably be funny to me too. Anyway, everyone up here has said that this has been the worst winter in ten years. What luck I've got being here for it. In all actuality, it's not been that bad. Yes, it's freezing, yes, it snows and yes, it's annoying not being able to even go into the garage (with the door closed) without putting on snow boots and your parka. But, if you don't like the cold, don't go outside, I say! Right?! So, I don't! Hmmm, now theres a thought! Blair and I have become professional "stay-at-homers." We were homebodys before, but let me tell ya, even more so now!

Ok, ok, I'm off my soap box of the cold. Thank you for letting me vent to y'all. Sometimes it just needs to come out, ya know? I'm good now.

1 comment:

Martha said...

You're so funny! Good thing you like to be a "stay-at-homer"!!