Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dad-burned excerise

So, along with about probably 90% of America, I thought I'd start out the new year by getting into shape.

Let me just tell you, it's not easy! Going to the gym in sub-zero weather is not fun. It's gotten way better since it's been so hot (and I use that term way loosely as it's been mainly in the 40s-50s!). Tonight I had to stay up so I can sleep for work tomorrow and I decided to go to the gym.

Of course I procrastinated so long that I only gave myself about 45 minutes to do anything (which I did last night too...yeah, I know...). Tonight I decided I would do the weight machines since there are sidewalks I can use for cardio. I was all excited because I got my weight stuff done and then I was going to run a mile in our neighborhood. I even drove my route to make sure it was a mile.

Yeah, what I didn't take into account was the blasted wind that is always blowing in North Dakota (it didn't help we had a rainstorm moving in)!! If it's to your back, you've got it made. Any other way and it's like fighting an uphill battle.

So I set out, all gung-ho. Readers, not a quarter of a mile into it I feel like my legs are frozen and I'm breathing like a Kentucky Derby winner who just gave it their all. It was not a pretty sight by any means.

I just want to know, why is it I can run for a solid 15 minutes on a treadmill with an uphill grade of 2 but I can't run into the wind?! UGH.

This 'healthy' stuff is way overrated!!

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

Ha! Ha! This post makes me think of one of my favorite signs at Hobby Lobby..."There's a skinny girl inside of me just waiting to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!" I love that, makes me smile every time I see it! :)